Bailey Manor

“Bailey also was properly a member of Aighton, as appears from charters already quoted, but it had greater independence than Chaigley and was accounted a manor. It gave a name to one or more families, probably descendants of the Mittons, including that which, as has been seen, took Shireburne as a surname”British History On line                                                                                                    

Bailey Hall is still standing. It is a short distance from Hurst Green in Aighton. To the left of the house are the remnants of the Bailey Chapel, once part of the manor. The chapel may have been one of “connivance” as part of the “Mytton Parish” that included this area still called Bailey.

At the time of his marriage to Margaret Shireburne in 1377 Richard de Bailey had a “license to oratory” from 1372 at Stonyhurst that seems to confirm the Baileys were living not at their surnamed manor but at Stonyhurst Hall. Stonyhurst Hall had become a Bailey possession in1362 by deed from de Mitton cousins to John de Bailey, Richards grandfather.

The date of the above stone house construction is unknown. It may be that there was a “wattle and daub” or more probably an even more primitive structure built on this site when Hugh de Mitton, granted “Bailey” manor to his younger brother Otto de Mitton around 1200. He then became known as either Otto de Mitton or Otto de Bailey.

The “stoned” windows were made to avoid the window tax that first came about at the end of the 17th century. Bailey is still a working farm and the name is used extensively to denote this area.

* (Latin oratorium, from orare, to pray) As a general term, Oratory signifies a place of prayer, but technically it means a structure other than a parish church, set aside by ecclesiastical authority for prayer and the celebration of Mass. Oratories seem to have originated from the chapels erected over the tombs of the early martyrs where the faithful resorted to pray, and also from the necessity of having a place of worship for the people in country districts when churches proper were restricted to cathedral cities. We also find early mention of private oratories for the celebration of Mass by bishops, and later of oratories attached to convents and to the residences of nobles. In the Eastern Church, where the parochial organization is neither so complete nor so rigid as in the West, private oratories were so numerous as to constitute an abuse. In the Latin Church oratories are classed as (1) public, (2) semipublic, and (3) private.