The Sherburnes, descendants of the Norman Mittons, built the Shireburne Chapel at All Hallows’ church, (aka. Mitton Church) in Great Mitton next to the original manor site of Ralph the Red. The Chapel was first started in 1440 and completed in 1595 by Sir Richard Shireburne.
“Although there was a private chapel connected with the manor house (Stonyhurst), where mass was said four times a week, the rights of the parish church of Mitton were observed, the family baptisms, marriages, and burials being all performed within its walls.” A History of the Family of Sherborn”-Charles Davies Sherborn, 1901.
The Catholic Shireburnes were all baptized, married and interred at the Protestant All Hallows with elaborate effigies inside the Shireburne Chapel. This Mitton church legacy was recognition of the Mitton Norman ancestry of the prominent Catholic Shireburnes of Stonyhurst, no doubt hastened by Henry Vlll’s edicts toward the Catholic church and the subsequent Civil War and ascension of Oliver Cromwell in the 1600s.
From the birth of Richard Shireburne (son of Richard Bailey) baptized here in 1381 to the end of the last Mitton – Bailey – Shireburne scion line in 1754 the Shireburnes were all descendants of the Norman ancestry of “Radulphus le Rous de Mitton”. Ralph had been the first grantee of Aighton in 1102 where Stonyhurst is. Stonyhurst became the ancestral home of the Baileys (and after 1392 Sur-named Shireburnes) until the death of the last de Mitton/Bailey/Shireburne to live there the dowager Duchess of Norfolk in 1754
Sir Richard Shireburne’s Family Coat of Arms
The Bayley-Shireburn marriage was considered to be so supremely important an event in the family history, that this quartered shield of the lions and eagles was considered to be in a special manner the family coat, although, both before and after the union, on account of marriages with other heiresses, other quarterings might be claimed. Thus we find the shield without additions, set up in various places of honour around Stonyhurst and the area.
The arms are shown in the 1567 and 1613 Visitations, College of Arms, London. It reflects the blending of the Sherburne and Bailey families.
Argent a Lion rampant gardant Vert
Quartering Vert an Eagle displayed Argent for Bayley.
Crest: A unicorn’s head Argent
Motto: Quant Je Puis
Translation: On silver, a green rampant lion quartered
A silver eagle for Ba1ley
Crest: A silver unicorn’s head
Motto: Of much I am capable
Notes: This above Coat of Arms (description) was verified by a distant cousin (Shireburne) who researched the Sherburne family history while on a trip in England. Her tour included a visit to the ancestral home, Stonyhurst, in Lancashire, now a Jesuit college. She also verified the coat of arms in London.
The Shireburne Coat of Arms on the tomb effigy at Mytton Churches Shirburn Chapel.
de Lacy family connection on Sir Richard Shireburne`s tomb coat of arms; The 4 quadrants represent the male ancestral line of Sir Richard Shireburne.The upper left quarter may be of the Saxon Shireburne family. The upper right and lower left quarters both show eagles; one eagle may (?) represent the Norman de Mitton family as precursors to the Baileys and a second eagle was added to combine the Bailey scion descendants of the Mittons who were the precursor family. The Baileys are always two eagles as a possible result, never just one. The fourth quarter at the bottom right appears to be a de Lacy lion. This de Lacy family denotation on the effigies is the contention of James Croston in his book; “Nooks and Corners of Lancashire and Cheshire”;
“The body of the tomb is enriched with heraldic shields representing the family alliances”. James Croston, “Nooks and Corners of Lancashire and Cheshire
“He (being Sir Richard Shireburne) commenced the building of the present mansion of Stonyhurst, a portion of which still exists, employing in the decoration some of the stone carvings from the neighboring Abbey of Whalley, among them being noticeable two shields of arms, one bearing the cognizance of the Lacies, the founder of that house.” http://tinyurl.com/de-Lacy-Arms
“They bore quarterly, 1st, A lion ramp. vert, armed and langued gules, for Sherburne; 2nd, Vert, an eagle displayed arg. for Bayley, 4th, as the first; 3rd, as the 2nd.”; The Coucher Book of Whalley, Book V. Chap.lll pg. 473-4
The coat of arms of Clitheroe Rural District Council: The white waves across the shield represent the four rivers of the Rural District – the Ribble, the Hodder, the Calder and the Loud. The green between these characteristics the predominantly rural countryside as well as incorporating an apt reference to the late Mr. James Green, M.B.E., J.P., the donor and at that time Chairman of the Council. The three golden whales and croziers are from the arms of Whalley Abbey which exercised such a strong influence over the life and well being of this area in medieval times and ecclesiastical jurisdiction over a vast parish which included the whole of the Rural District. The red roses are for Lancashire.
The battlements represent historic castle of Clitheroe, for Clitheroe Castle was originally a parish of this Rural District, its keep being depicted on the Council’s original seal. The coloring of the tower is note-worthy, for no other civic authority has a purple tower on its arms. This tincture derives from the purple lion of the de Lacy family who built the Norman castle at Clitheroe and enjoyed possession of the Honor of Clitheroe which included the manors of the present Rural District. The green lion derives from the heraldry of the Shireburnes of Stonyhurst and the ermine crescent is the emblem of the ancient Weld family. The golden coronet is from the arms of the illustrious Stanleys, Earls of Derby and the shield displays the arms of the Asshetons to mark their long association with this part of Lancashire. The late Sir Ralph C. Assheton, Bart. was the Council’s first Chairman.
The motto defines the policy of this local authority administering a rural area which lies close to a number of the industrial centers of Lancashire.