Great Mitton Hall Today:
This is a private home and is guarded by two vicious guard dogs at the entrance. The owners should not be disturbed.
Great Mitton Hall built in the 14th century and the site of the original manor house from the early 12th century. Mitton Bridge built around 1900 is seen below (5th. photo below upper left) over the Ribble River below.That once connected the Yorkshire side of Great Mitton and the Lancashire side of “Little Mitton”. Since 1974 both sides are in the county of Lancashire, township of Mitton.
The stone facade above was placed over the original “wattle and daub” manor house from the early 1300`s. This was a fire detention measure probably completed during the restoration era. The “wattle and daub” manor house was also used as a rectory as well as a hospital during some of its history (the Abbots replaced the family rectors sometime after1215). However, the de Mittons remained as manor lords until 1310 and most likely resided at this location through that time period. It was the de Mittons “magna” manor from which the family surname came from. No de Mitton family manor lord resided at Mitton manor after 1310 when the de Mitton`s ceased to be Lords of their surnamed location manor.
The original manor hall of the Norman de Mittons was probably located where the one story addendum is now next to the above storied structure. H type houses from the 14th century were often add ons to the original manor hall building between those expanded H structures. The wattle and daub H structure build in the early 14th century undoubtedly had a similar structure on the right side (as illustrated) connecting to each side by the cross hall. The twin west side two story structure of the H configuration may have been torn down at some point for tax reasons. Only the above two story east side structure has survived from the 14th century. The addendum one story to the right above was most likely where the original hall of the de Mitton family. That was used as a cross hall when the two story H structures were later built in the first half of the 14th century.
The above and below photos of Great Mitton Hall shows the modern day addendum from the north side existing H part of the waddle and daub original structure. This is probably the location of the original manor hall of the Norman de Mittons.
Lovely garden recently put in by the present owners of Great Mitton Hall looking out toward Pendle Hill.The Church opens the belfry and owners of Great Mitton Hall open their garden for charity events in June.
Note the close proximity of the manor house and the church. This is how the Normans first built their manors as they were the local parish priest as well.
This is Mitton bridge from the north side of the Ribble built circa 1900 that at the time separated Lancashire from Yorkshire. The boundary was changed in 1974 and both sides of the river are in Lancashire now. Note the inscriptions on the bridge below denoting the old boundary of the Ribble River dividing Lancashire and Yorkshire.
Please click photo to enlarge picture to read inscriptions.
Back of Great Mitton Hall. The dark parts are where the old parts of the bldg. were including another staircase in the center and of the right.
Great Mitton from Aighton toward the Ribble River. This was Ralph the Reds demesne lands.
Ralph the Red checking out his manor holdings back in the day as the lord of Mitton manor.
The left 3 story structure was an add on with a similar one to the right. It was probably torn down for tax reasons at some point.
This how Great Mitton Hall would have been in the 14th century. The center part was probably where the original manor house was. It would have been just one great room. The cross wings were probably added to make an H configuration. One side would have been for the servants with a cross hall to service the manor lord family. The structure would have been made of wattle and daub with a wood frame. This was confirmed with a recent renovation. Later, probably in the 17th century the stone facade was made over the original Tudor style house for fire prevention as the remaining structure on the left still is today. During some of its history Great Mitton Hall was used as a refectory as well as a hospital.
The original manor structure of Great Mitton Hall may have been like the above. A wattle and daub type with a similar type of thatched roof. This was probably located where the addendum structure in the above picture of Great Mitton Hall stands today.
Ralph the Red outside his manor hall.
Close by, on the Lancashire side of the river is Little Mitton Hall below built by the Catteralls in the 1480s. Since 1974 the “Little” has been dropped and it is now simply called Mitton Hall. Please see; Mitton Hall drop down
Mitton Hall should not be confused as the location of the original manor. That is where Great Mitton Hall above is. Both are on the same road named Mitton road.