Cromwell’s Bridge… the good, the bad and poor Richards table….
- Cromwell’s Bridge on the Hodder at Great Mitton built by Sir Richard Shireburne in 1561.
The good. This bridge was built by the Catholic Sir Richard Shireburne to aid the Protestant parishioners of “Mytton Church” to cross the river to go to services.The family remained and was always members of that church even though prominent Catholics.
Poor Richard. Cromwell came north to subdue Catholics. He moved his cannon across this bridge by removing the stone railings. Ever since it has been called “Cromwell’s Bridge” even though his nemeses the Catholic Sir Richard Sherburne paid for and built it.
The table. Cromwell on that campaign slept in full armor on a rectory table in case of a surprise attack at Stonyhurst. That rectory table is still at Stonyhurst and may have been the one that Richard Shireburne moved there from Great Mitton Hall.The Mitton manor home had became a rectory at some point when the Abbots replaced the de Mitton family as rectors of Mytton Church. The Abbots lived at the old Great Mitton manor house where that table may have been originally used and hence the name. But there is no documentation to substantiate this.
Lower Hodder Bridge
This is the bridge accross the Hodder in the same area. The Hodder and Ribble meet downstream which was once call “mythye” from the old Saxon meaning of a confulence of rivers. Now is is called Hodderfoot, meaning at the foot of the Hodder where it flows into the Ribble River.