“It is not, however, with the Shireburne’s that we must begin, for in fact the owners of Stonyhurst should not, on ordinary principles, have born this name”. Centenary Record. 1894 by John Gerard.
Stonyhurst in Aighton was part of the original manor granted to Ralph the Red by Robert de Lacy in the Nov. 23, 1102 charter. Stonyhurst descended through Richard Bailey’s grandfather, John, who received it by deed from his cousins Emma and Cecily Mitton in 1362. The Baileys were all descendants of Otto de Mitton, the grandson of Ralph the Red. Otto received the manor of Bailey from his older brother Hugh, then Lord of Mitton manor, around 1200. Otto de Mitton took the name de Bailey to differentiate his own sub-feuded manor. The de Bailey surname lasted until the death of his great, great, grandson Richard Bailey in 1388. That Richard Bailey was the founding father of the Shireburnes of Stonyhurst through his son only Richard Shireburne who took his mothers surname.
“A History of the Parish of Mitton in the West Riding of Yorkshire” by Frederick George Ackerley, 1947
“Otto’s grandson, Jordan de Bailey, had a son Walter who was living in 1292 to 1323. His son John, who died in 1271, left a son Richard. This Richard de Bailey married Margaret Sherburne and assumed the surname of his wife. From this pair descended the Sherburne’s of Stoneyhurst, who played a prominent part in the subsequent history of Mitton until the male line became extinct in the year 1717 (Sir Nicolas Shireburne’s death). Thus the later Sherburnes were directly descended from the original grantee of the Manor, Ralph the Red. That red hair may have persisted in the family is suggested by a portrait now at Stoneyhurst of the Sherburne of Queen Elizabeth’s time which depicts him with a reddish beard”. George Ackerley.
Authors note: Ackerley is probably not correct about Richard de Baily, that was his great grandson and the grandson of his son also named John, whose son was Richard de Bailey, the father of Richard Shireburn. In other words their were two John de Baileys, one died in 1372 the other in 1391.
The road leading to Bailey Hall, the home of Otto de Mitton who took the name Otto de Bailey. His heirs built Stonyhurst. In 1362 Cecily and Emma de Mitton granted Aighton (including Stonyhurst) with Bailey and Chaighley to their cousin John, son of Walter de Bailey. It was this John’s son Richard that married Margaret Shireburne and their son, also named Richard took his mother’s maiden surname.
The Mitton-Bailey-Sherburne connection…..
“Just the facts” … Sgt. Joe Friday, LAPD
Richard Bailey (Mitton) was the 7th generation descendant of Otto de Mitton (aka. Bailey). Richard married Margaret Shireburne in 1377. Margaret was the co-heir to Sir Richard Shireburne with her sister Joan who died unmarried. Their father Sir Richard had only those two daughters and no male heir. The Shireburn family included a well know past ancestor that was with Edward lll at the siege of Calais.
Margaret’s marriage to Richard de Bailey provided a male Shireburne descendant. Richard was born Oct.12, 1381 and named Richard after his father. The surname however became Shireburne rather than his father’s surname de Bailey. Margaret Sherburne then conveyed all her Shireburne estates and assets to her husband Richard Bayley (descendant of Ralph the Red) to be left to their only son and heir Richard. He was however given the more predominate surname Shireburne to perpetuate the mothers family name and secure the Shireburne inheritance. Margaret’s father in law John de Bailey (descendant Mitton) was the possessor of Stonyhurst at the time. He was the grandfather of Richard Shirburne. Richard Bailey, father of Richard Shireburne never had possession of Stoneyhurst. Richard Bailey died 3 years before his father and eventually his son Richard Shireburne inherited Stonyhurst directly from his grandfather John Bailey in 1391.
The Bailey coat of arms was integrated with the Shireburnes when Richard Shireburne came into possession of Stonyhurst upon his grandfathers death 1391. Richards father had predeceased his own father John Bailey in 1388. This duel family’s coat of arms is also engraved as such at the Shireburne Chapel at Mytton Church. The surname “Shireburne” then became an extended Mitton paternal family male scion line for the next 400 years until the death of Sir Nicholas Shireburne in1722 and his only surviving daughters death in 1754.
The Shireburne ancestral home at Aighton called “Stonyhurst”.
The Bailey genealogy of the Shireburnes of Stonyhurst Hall
John Bailey died in 1391. His father John died in 1372. He was the son of Walter de Bailey. Johns (d.1372) great grandfather was Otto de Mitton, son of Jordan and brother of Hugh de Mitton.The John de Bailey that died in 1372 was the son of Walter de Bailey. His father was a second Jordan mentioned in 1257. Jordan’s father was the first Walter de Baily the son of Otto de Bailey (Mitton).
Their are two genealogist source writings. I have reconciled and tried to summarizer with the following;
So father to son Baileys in order from Ralph the Red, persona of the de Mittons;
1.Ralph the Red, progenitor of the de Mitton`s and two generations later Baileys starting with his grandson Otto de Mitton (Bailey). Ralph the Reds son and heir was Jordanus.
2. Jordanus de Mitton m. Wymark de Eland,
3.Two sons Hugh de Mitton & Otto de Mitton (Bailey)
4.Walter de Bailey (1), son of above Otto de Mitton (Bailey) m. America or Hamiria
5. Jordan m. Agnus
6. Walter de Bailey (2) m. Matilda
7. John de Bailey d. 1372 m. Isabell
8. John de Bailey d. 1391
9. Richard de Bailey d. 1388 (predecease father)
10. Richard Shireburn (often refereed to as Richard Bailey after his father by locals) b.1381-d. May 29, 1441. He built the aisle to Mitton Church and was the first of the Shireburns of Stonyhurst Hall. His effigy is at Mitton Church with his Shireburne family successors.
As best I can determine it from two geologies. It` all really quite simple right?
Specific Ancestral Lines of the Boaz, Paul, Welty & Fishel Families, published in December 2014 by Otter Bay Books, LLC., Pg. 581-582 summery of the above.